Sunday, November 15, 2009

Home Improvements (Part Three) 256

I've had a cold/flu/something, but last Saturday I felt good enough to take Buddy for a walk. It was kinda late for E.F. Hutton to be in his shop, but thankfully he was - along with Cousin Bobolink and his girlfriend.

I don't personally know the girlfriend, but my impression of her isn't a good one. This woman, who is probably close to my and Bobolink's age (late 40s) was sitting in a chair next to Bobolink with her leg draped over his - as if she were at home, with no regard or respect for E.F. Hutton or me. My notion of her is that she cares nothing for Bobolink, but cares a geat deal for what Bobolink will inherit. A psychiatrist might say she was showing possession, or ownership of Bobolink (and his stuff) by covering him with her leg in such a disrespectful way.

Men often think with their little heads instead of their big ones, so I don't particularly fault Bobolink for allowing her behavior. But she should have known better. We aren't teenagers anymore. This woman figures into the home improvement saga a little later.

E.F. has known about my home improvement plans from the beginning, and I called Bobolink a few days ago to tell him about it. So, when I mentioned my dilemma about moving the service/utility/whatever pole, they both knew what I was talking about. I told E.F. I was lost about what to do next, and it was so comforting to hear him lay out a plan and explain what happens when the service is moved.

One important thing I learned was that the inspector works for Jefferson County - not AL Power. And when the inspector comes out to inspect, he only wants to see that the pole doesn't lean and how the electrician wires the lines into the house.

Even more comforting was that he was saying "we" a lot. "We'll come up with the pole," etc. However, E.F. told me to make all the arrangements. Bobolink was contributing positively to the conversation, which was also very comforting.