Friday, November 13, 2009

Home Improvements (Part Two) 254

I'm becoming more and more anxious/nervous/whatever about making these improvements. I feel as if I'm standing still on something urgent. Maybe I've just been home too long and need to get my mind on something else. I didn't get anything from Dr. Goodheart today, and I'm beginning to wonder if he sent the letter I need (to get my job back) directly to Dr. Flagman in Dothan.

Back to home improvements. I still haven't gotten an estimate on what the shed itself will cost.

I mentioned yesterday that an engineer from AL Power was coming out to advise me about moving our utility service pole. He suggested putting it on the east end on the house - by my bedroom. He rambled off some other stuff I didn't understand, but one thing's clear; I'm gonna have to hire a high priced electrician to do the work so the AL Power inspector will approve it. And I learned that a buried power line would run from the big utility pole by the road to the house - an expense I'm sure I can't afford. I wouldn't want to have to dig it up later.

The only thing AL Power will physically do is move the power line. But their list of requirements and specifications covers everything I'm responsible for. Which is ... what?

I learned that I have to buy and set the pole. I don't want us to be without power any longer than necessary, so I'll get another pole and have everything ready for a one hour swap. Maybe. But what kind of pole does it have to be?

I went over to the AL Power office in Hueytown this morning and picked up 'Spec Sheets'. This is what they say about the pole itself:

AL Power specifications on a service pole

Ok, so it's got to be treated wood. It's got to be 18' long. 4' of that 18 has to be in the ground, so I've got to dig a hole 4' deep. If the pole is round, it's got to be 5" in diameter. If the pole is aquare, it's got to be 6"x6", which is what we have now. And once you put it up, if the thing's not stable in AL Power's eyes, they won't connect the power.

I'm getting a headache. Just for the record, here are the spec sheets in full:

AL Power specifications on a service pole

AL Power specifications on a service pole

AL Power specifications on a service pole

AL Power specifications on a service pole