Friday, November 20, 2009

Preliminary Communication 258

To refresh your memory, Dr. Goodheart is my new cardiologist at UAB - he was recommended to me by Dr. Flagman. Dr. Flagman is the Medical Examiner for AMX, a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, or D.O.

You may recall that Dr. Flagman wouldn't renew my medical certification until he had a letter from a cardiologist stating that it was ok for me to drive a truck. Dr. Goodheart's letter is the second one I've had to obtain for Dr. Flagman, who apparently refuses to believe a person with a coronary stent can safely drive a truck - even though he has evidence to the contrary.

When I returned to work after having the stenting procedure, Dr. Flagman certified me as medically sound for 90 days - time enough to get the first letter for him. But once he got it, he only recertified me for 90 more days - time enough to get a second letter for him. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I wasn't able to complete the process to get the second letter, and I basically had to quit my job on 10/06/09.

I've written about the problem I'm having with Dr. Flagman several times before:
90 Day Medical Card - April 13, 2009
Home For Stress Test - May 15, 2009
90 Day Medical Card Expires Soon - July 7, 2009
Medical Card Extended Another 90 Days - July 9, 2009
90 Day Medical Card Expires Soon - Again - September 12, 2009
From Wildwood FL - September 23, 2009
Neon Troubles - October 4, 2009
Was She Conscientious Or Contentious? - October 5, 2009
Dr. Flagman Says NO - October 6, 2009
God Does Little Favors For Me - Problems solved - October 8, 2009

On 10/28/09, six days before my initial appointment with Dr. Goodheart, I faxed the following letter to him:

Pre-patient fax to Dr. Misra, page 1
Pre-patient fax to Dr. Misra, page 2

Pre-patient fax to Dr. Misra, page 3

I saw Dr. Goodheart on 11/04/09, he did an echocardiogram, and on 11/06/09 he sent a letter directly to Dr. Flagman. However, I didn't know it went directly to Dr. Flagman because Dr. Goodheart's office didn't send me a copy.

From what I can gather, Dr. Flagman's office doesn't know if they ever received the letter or not. One day a girl told me it could be in a stack of stuff they haven't filed yet, and she'd get back to me. She never did. Today a girl told me she didn't open the mail, and it'd be better to fax the letter to them, along with an explanation as to what the letter was for. This is what I faxed:

I faxed my copy of Dr. Misra's letter to Dr. Banner, along with an explanation as to what the letter was for.

It almost makes me angry that the people at Dr. Flagman's office have so little regard for my livelyhood, not to mention the time, expense, and aggravation. Granted, coming home in my car was an answer to prayer. Taking the time off hasn't been a hardship - yet. But what's going on with these people in this tiny little doctor's office? Why do they have so little regard for mine and Dr. Misra's efforts?