Thursday, October 15, 2009

Myers Electric - Thumbs Up, 242

Aside from getting my car up here for Mother, I've been able to get some other stuff done around here during this break from work. Yesterday an electrician came out and fixed the light on the back porch and put up the new smoke detectors. The light was a dusk-to-dawn type fixture and the photocell had gone bad. No one knew it was supposed to tell daylight from dark, and I had no idea why it wouldn't turn on. But Mr. Myers and his son knew right away. Then they put up the smoke detectors, and they were gone inside of 20 minutes. He only charged me for a service call - $80.00, which I thought was fantastic! If anybody in the Bessemer/Birmingham AL area needs a good, honest electrician, Myers Electric is the place to call.

Incidentally, I found Myers Electric through ServiceMagic.com - kind of by accident. I'd heard about ServiceMagic on XM radio, so I checked it out. You have to put in a name, address, what kind of project you have, etc., and there's a place to chose "ready to hire" or "budget/planning". I was ready to hire. Boom! Two electricians called me within 5 minutes - one of them was Mr. Myers. The other one lived way out in Pinson, so he declined such a small project. After talking to Mr. Myers a few minutes, I knew there was no need to talk to anyone else.

It's rained so much around here lately that Myers got stuck in the drive across the street. Harmlessette and I have considered building another arc it's been raining so long. Anyway, Handyman came and gave them a tug with E.F. Hutton's tractor.

And by the way - E.F. Hutton's legs and feet were/are hurting so bad that he was using his walker yesterday. He's going to the doctor again today. He said he mentioned his pain the last time at the doctor's (a weeek or so ago) but it was lost in their concern for his blood sugar levels - he had to start injecting insulin. In fact, this visit today may be the scheduled visit to have is levels tested again.

Finally, I just saw (on his Facebook page) that Chesty Puller is on the way home.