Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Cool Old Scale 206

Everybody coming into the place I loaded today has to weigh in (empty weight) and weigh out once they're loaded.

This is a picture of the scale platform:


And this is the old beam ... what do you call that part?



I hope you can see it good enough to tell how it works - kinda like the scales at the doctor's office, where they slide the doohickeys on the balance beams. The Scale Master said they've been using it for about 25 years. They tried a couple of digital ones, but they kept breaking down. So he told his bosses, "You can't take this one out until I'm gone." I thought it was so cool!

I've only seen one other scale like this. Can't remember where it was, but the only time anybody ever used it was if a driver wanted to weigh his/herself. It was in a tiny little shack by itself, with a few cobwebs hanging here and there.

Anyway, we're at the Flying J in Gulfport MS for the night.