Monday, August 31, 2009

Buddy Is The Greatest Exercise Machine Ever! 173

Buddy was my running mate from the time I adopted her until I had to take a few months off for medical reasons. We were both at home during my recovery.

When I went back to work, the only truck AMX had available was an old Kenworth. I was glad to get it, but there wasn't enough room in it for Buddy to jump into the passenger seat. So I had to leave her at home until I got a bigger truck. Not the whole story, but that's part of the reason Buddy hasn't been with me lately.

When I decided I couldn't afford Plavix and Crestor for a while, and was going to make a real effort to get myself in better physical shape, I decided to take Buddy back out on the road with me. Buddy loves to walk, and I knew I'd come closer to walking myself if I had her along.

Last Friday I swung by the house with my load of Dr. Pepper to pick Buddy up. We left for Pensacola late Sunday (yesterday) afternoon. Since then I've purposely walked more than I have in the last ... several years probably. Two or three times around a truck stop parking lot; all over the Coca-cola complex in Pensacola; up and down the road where we picked up today; completely around the WalMart/parking lot in Thomasville AL. Buddy is the greatest exercise machine ever - for me anyway.

(Remember, you can click the pics for a bigger view.) This is her bed, where she rides while we're moving (maybe you can see it in the passenger seat):

Buddy's bed in the passenger seat

(Pardon my cluttered truck.) I cut a piece of plywood to fit/slide between the seat and backrest - it stays in place that way. The other end extends to the dash. She has enough room to stretch out if she wants to, and she can look out the window and wave at all the 4wheelers.

This is how Buddy gets in and out of the truck:

This is how I get Buddy in and out of the truck

And this is how/where I store her ramp - on top of the fuel tank:

This is where I store Buddy's ramp - on the fuel tank

This is the trip we're under now:

Trip 196

My route brought me by the house, where I am now. I'm taking a 10 hour break here - mostly because I needed to modify Buddy's bed with my jig saw a little, and pick up one of her old mattresses. From here I have about 545 miles to go - 10 hours at 55 mph. We're doing good on time.

I'm so tired .... It takes time to write the posts, and it's especially hard when I don't really feel like writing. But I wanted to post this update before I got too far behind. Now I'm going to bed.