Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What kind of a name is "Breinigsville" anyway? 162

First of all, my trip by the house last Tuesday AM (yesterday) was wonderful! Mother and my little Buddy Hug

Trip 188's info says Allentown is the final delivery city, but it's really Breinigsville PA - a 'burb of Allentown.

I called the delivery site earlier today to see if I could get unloaded tonight instead of in the morning. I had so much extra legal work time that I thought maybe I could get unloaded and reloaded today. Getting just that much ahead would help my campaign to make more money this month. Anyway, the guy said they received 24 hours a day, and he'd see what he could do about getting me worked in if I came on early. Not true. When I got up here I learned that if I'd been a drop/hook I probably could'ave done that, but not live unload.

So here I sit, outside the huge warehouse, on a street with "no parking" signs everywhere. There's nowhere else (close) to park that isn't already filled up at this time of night. I'm not too worried about it though. There's another truck parked a little ways behind me, and warehouses are the only buildings around here. Not much traffic. I'm not blocking anything.

It irks me though, because the guy told me wrong. Didn't know what he was talking about. Dummy. And what kind of a name is "Breinigsville" anyway? Hard to spell - hope I got it right on my log book.

And to top it all off, I got a traffic ticket in Harrisburg PA on the way up here. Trucks aren't allowed in the leftmost lane of I78 going through Harrisburg, but I jumped out there to pass a 4wheeler that was going real slow. I couldn't get over in the right lane, plus, I could see where the two right lanes exited off - the point at which it would be legal to use the left lane again. I would'ave been legal in another 5 seconds.

The PA state officer was hiding behind a concrete wall in the median when I went by. When I saw him turning around in my mirror, I knew my goose was cooked. I worked my way over to the shoulder and he pulled up behind me. He did a level 3 inspection, which included a check of my driver´s license, medical examiner´s certificate, hours of service (log book), registration for the truck, and shipping papers. All that stuff was in good order.

The fine for being in the left lane is $109.50

For more info on truck inspections click here and scroll to Types of truck safety inspections conducted throughout North America. This comes from the state of Oregon's website, but applies almost everywhere.