Friday, August 7, 2009

Even More Trivia From XM Radio Classics 159

A lot of Fibber McGee and Molly (Jim and Marion Jordan) radio shows were originally broadcast during WW2, and the McGees/Jordans were big supporters of the war effort. They were talking about federally imposed sugar rationing at the end of one of the shows this week, when Marion Jordan said, "It takes 1/5th of an acre of sugar cane to fire a big gun just once." I thought that was pretty interesting.

Molly and Fibber were talking about Christmas gifts on a show I heard last year. The Christmas themed broadcast originally aired shortly after Pearl Harbor was bombed. Mayor LaTrivia, voiced by Gale Gordon, mentioned something about his intention to buy a world globe for one of his relatives. Molly said, "Do you want one with Japan on it?" Mayor Letrivia said, "Of course." Molly said, "Well you better hurry." (Gale Gordon was Mr. Mooney on The Lucy Show.)

Different Radio Classics subject. An early film and radio star named Mary Martin is/was a guest star the Jack Benny show playing on Radio Classics this week. She and Jack had co-starred in a 1940's movie Love Thy Neighbor.

Mary Martin

Years later, Mary Martin was offered the part of Miss Ellie on one of my all time favorite TV shows, Dallas. Had she accepted the role, she would have been playing mother to her real life son, Larry Hagman - aka JR Ewing.

In other news: This is the trip I'm under now:

Trip 186

The load info on the Qualcomm says to deliver Monday, 8/10, but I want to keep rolling this weekend if possible. So I called 007 on the phone this morning, and asked about reloading over the weekend if I delivered early. She said she'd set me up on something - just let her know when I'd be at Jackson. After a little rough figuring I gave her an eta of 5:00PM Saturday afternoon.

From here, the TA in Wildwood FL, I have about 515 miles to go. My 14 hour time limit for today is up at 10:30PM. If I leave here at 8:00PM, I can get about 145 to 155 miles further up the road. Then I'll only have 360 miles to go ... divided by 50mph because I've got to kind of backtrack a little to go by the AMX terminal for fuel, and from them on I'll be on US84 instead of interstate highways ... say 7 hours to get to Jackson tomorrow (Saturday) ... and that'll be around 3:30PM. So if I hold out, I should be able to make Jackson by 5:00PM.

One more thing before I leave Wildwood: On the left side of the blog, in the section titled "Tags I list under my posts in alfa order" ... those are clickable, if you're interested in any of them.