Thursday, August 13, 2009

Smucker Owns Folgers, And Folgers Makes 163

I wondered about all this because the coffee I carried up to Breinigsville PA came from a warehouse that stores Folgers coffee. Dunkin Donuts coffee was listed on the manifest too. The freight charges were to be billed to the J.M. Smucker Co.

When I had the time (and wifi access) I Googled it I love Google

Apparently, it's old news. Here's a Forbes.com article, dated 6/4/08, about the deal. (If you get that annoying introduction screen, click the part that says to skip it.) The article states, "J.M. Smucker has woken up and smelled the coffee. Rather than try to finance its $3.3 billion purchase of the Folger's coffee brand [from Procter & Gamble] in a bond market still leery of risky debt, the peanut-butter-and-jelly maker is buying the java label with its own stock. Lots of its own stock."

And from the Millstone Coffee Company's website : "...Folgers, founded in 1850, is the leading producer of retail packaged coffee products in the United States. Folgers broad product offering includes its original Folgers(R) brand, Millstone(R) and a license to manufacture and distribute Dunkin' Donuts(R) coffee in the retail grocery market."

Procter & Gamble (Folgers) and Dunkin Donuts must'ave made this deal in August 2007. All the articles about it are dated around that time; although Dunkin's own website announcement is dated February 28, 2007.

Interesting stuff!

In other news, this is my next trip:

Trip 189

Seems I'm hauling some high-class freight lately Simple Smilie This one's heavy - 45,900 pounds of the stuff. I came back west on I78 because the closest scale I knew of was in that direction. I had to be sure about the weight distribution because it's one of the heaviest loads I've ever pulled.

Anyway, traffic was dense (in more ways than one), so I decided to go ahead and stop for a 10 hour break - maybe more since this doesn't deliver until Monday. I'm at the TA in Harrisburg PA. Gonna finish up the blog for today; get something to eat; play some Spider; then go to bed. I'll probably leave here early in the morning.

One last thing. I have discovered how to make tiny little movies with my digital camera. The sound you hear is XM radio - I don't know how to get rid of it. This is going through Chattanooga on the way up to PA:



401(K) is listed in the tags below because it's mentioned in the comments for this post.